calf - a audio plugin library
calfjackhost plugin ! [ plugin ! ] [...]
The Calf project aims at providing a set of high quality open source
audio plugins for musicians, possibly in many different plugin formats,
so that they can be used in as many hosts as possible and in standalone
mode. Currently available plugins:
* Flanger with linear interpolation. In case "zipper noise" of
basic flanger effects was driving you mad, use this one!
* Simple reverb with basic controls and relatively neutral sound.
No dreaded metal barrel sound, at expense of higher CPU use and less
* Multimode filter (selectable 12dB/24dB/36dB rolloff, lowpass or
highpass) with inertia/smoothing for cutoff for more "analog" sound
* Vintage delay - in other words, a very simple simulation of tape
echo, with a filter in a feedback loop.
* Simple monophonic synthesizer with 2 oscillators, multimode
filter and an envelope.
* Optional: electric organ synthesizer and rotary speaker
emulation, best used together (use "configure --enable-experimental" to
enable them) The plugins are available in following formats:
* LADSPA (all effect plugins)
* DSSI (both synthesizers and effects), including DSSI GUI
* Standalone JACK client application with GTK+-based GUI (new: it
is possible to run several plugins simultaneously in one JACK client,
and connect them in chains using standard JACK facilities)
* LV2 (experimental, SVN only, some features may not work, host
support for several features may vary)
How to use Calf plugins:
* LADSPA plugins
Calf is installed as calf.so library in your LADSPA directory
(typically /usr/lib/ladspa). It means that typical LADSPA host
should be able to find Calf's plugins.
* DSSI plugins
The calf.so module is also installed in your DSSI plugin
directory, which means your DSSI host (like jack-dssi-host or
rosegarden) should find it and include its plugins in the plugin
* JACK client application
You can also use Calf plugins as one or more separate
applications, connecting to other applications using JACK Audio
Connection Kit (version 0.103 or newer is required). To run the
calfjackhost monosynth !
(! means "connect", last "!" means "connect to output")
calfjackhost monosynth ! vintagedelay ! flanger !
(runs monosynth into vintagedelay and vintagedelay into flanger,
then to output)
calfjackhost ! reverb !
(takes signal from system:capture_1 and _2, puts it through
reverb, and then sends to system:playback_1 and _2)
LADSPA_PATH Path to LADSPA plugins.
LV2 support is in infant stage. Some knobs may still cause
clicks/zipper noise. Plugin versions (especially LADSPA) have very poor
usability comparing to standalone versions, because of platform
limitations. In case of other bugs, please send bug reports to
<firstname.lastname@example.org>, they will be fixed in order of importance.
Krzysztof Foltman. Man page by Hermann Meyer, edited by Krzysztof