Man Linux: Main Page and Category List


       debconf-apt-progress - install packages using debconf to display a
       progress bar


        debconf-apt-progress [--] command [args ...]
        debconf-apt-progress --config
        debconf-apt-progress --start
        debconf-apt-progress --from waypoint --to waypoint [--] command [args ...]
        debconf-apt-progress --stop


       debconf-apt-progress installs packages using debconf to display a
       progress bar. The given command should be any command-line apt
       frontend; specifically, it must send progress information to the file
       descriptor selected by the "APT::Status-Fd" configuration option, and
       must keep the file descriptors nominated by the "APT::Keep-Fds"
       configuration option open when invoking debconf (directly or
       indirectly), as those file descriptors will be used for the debconf
       passthrough protocol.

       The arguments to the command you supply should generally include -y
       (for apt-get or aptitude) or similar to avoid the apt frontend
       prompting for input. debconf-apt-progress cannot do this itself because
       the appropriate argument may differ between apt frontends.

       The --start, --stop, --from, and --to options may be used to create a
       progress bar with multiple segments for different stages of
       installation, provided that the caller is a debconf confmodule. The
       caller may also interact with the progress bar itself using the debconf
       protocol if it so desires.

       debconf locks its config database when it starts up, which makes it
       unfortunately inconvenient to have one instance of debconf displaying
       the progress bar and another passing through questions from packages
       being installed. If you’re using a multiple-segment progress bar,
       you’ll need to eval the output of the --config option before starting
       the debconf frontend to work around this. See "EXAMPLES" in the
       EXAMPLES section below.


           Print environment variables necessary to start up a progress bar

           Start up a progress bar, running from 0 to 100 by default. Use
           --from and --to to use other endpoints.

       --from waypoint
           If used with --start, make the progress bar begin at waypoint
           rather than 0.

           Otherwise, install packages with their progress bar beginning at
           this "waypoint". Must be used with --to.

       --to waypoint
           If used with --start, make the progress bar end at waypoint rather
           than 100.

           Otherwise, install packages with their progress bar ending at this
           "waypoint". Must be used with --from.

           Stop a running progress bar.

           Avoid starting, stopping, or stepping the progress bar. Progress
           messages from apt, media change events, and debconf questions will
           still be passed through to debconf.

       --dlwaypoint percentage
           Specify what percent of the progress bar to use for downloading
           packages.  The remainder will be used for installing packages. The
           default is to use 15% for downloading and the remaining 85% for

       --logfile file
           Send the normal output from apt to the given file.

           Send the normal output from apt to stderr. If you supply neither
           --logfile nor --logstderr, the normal output from apt will be

       --  Terminate options. Since you will normally need to give at least
           the -y argument to the command being run, you will usually need to
           use -- to prevent that being interpreted as an option to debconf-
           apt-progress itself.


       Install the GNOME desktop and an X window system development
       environment within a progress bar:

        debconf-apt-progress -- aptitude -y install gnome x-window-system-dev

       Install the GNOME, KDE, and XFCE desktops within a single progress bar,
       allocating 45% of the progress bar for each of GNOME and KDE and the
       remaining 10% for XFCE:

        #! /bin/sh
        set -e
        case $1 in
            eval "$(debconf-apt-progress --config)"
            "$0" debconf
            . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
            debconf-apt-progress --start
            debconf-apt-progress --from 0 --to 45 -- apt-get -y install gnome
            debconf-apt-progress --from 45 --to 90 -- apt-get -y install kde
            debconf-apt-progress --from 90 --to 100 -- apt-get -y install xfce4
            debconf-apt-progress --stop


       The exit code of the specified command is returned, unless the user hit
       the cancel button on the progress bar. If the cancel button was hit, a
       value of 30 is returned. To avoid ambiguity, if the command returned
       30, a value of 3 will be returned.


       Colin Watson <>

       Joey Hess <>